This could be the worst construction closure we have ever seen. If you normally drive from the eastside to Seattle (on either bridge OR via 405)... well, basically, you need to start planning an alternate route NOW. Or plan vacation for the days impacted. Or just stay home (wouldn't that be nice!?).
THE BOTTOM LINE: I-90 WESTBOUND BETWEEN BELLEVUE WAY AND THE EAST CHANNEL BRIDGE WILL BE REDUCED TO ONE LANE FROM FRIDAY, JULY 18TH AT 9:30PM TO FRIDAY JULY 25TH. AROUND THE CLOCK.
READ: I-90 will be reduced to one lane during rush hour. For a whole week.
The best advice we can give you is this: Avoid I-90 and expect alternate routes to be more congested than normal.
STAGE ONE: Begins Friday, July 18th at 9:30pm. Once this stage is done, they'll move onto stage two (approximately half-way through the project).
- 3 left lanes of I-90 westbound will be closed at Bellevue Way.
- In other words, I-90 Westbound will be reduced to ONE lane at Bellevue Way, then open up to three open lanes before the East Channel Bridge.
- RAMP CLOSURES: Bellevue Way HOV on-ramp to westbound I-90 AND southbound 405 HOV ramp to westbound I-90.
STAGE TWO: Begins as soon as stage one is finished. This stage shifts the closure from the from the left side of the road to the right.
- 3 right lanes of westbound will be closed at Bellevue Way.
- In other words, I-90 Westbound will be reduced to ONE lane at Bellevue way, then open up to three open lanes before the East Channel Bridge.
- RAMP CLOSURES: Bellevue Way general purpose on-ramp to westbound I-90 AND southbound 405 HOV ramp to westbound I-90.
PROJECT IS SCHEDULED TO WRAP UP FRIDAY, JULY 25th.
I want to repeat - I-90 will be reduced to one lane AROUND THE CLOCK, meaning during the rush hours, it will be a mess. Many people will re-route to 520 or 405, so those will be more crowded than normal. Expect HUGE delays and extended commute times. PLAN AHEAD FOR THIS MESS! It'll impact your weekday drive for FIVE DAYS STRAIGHT.
UPDATE to address questions and new info (7/17/14):
- This project is being done to replace some 33-year-old expansion joints that are 92 feet long each, weigh 29 tons, and are deep in the bridge deck.
- Some estimates are that I-90 will back up nearly 10 miles at peak drive times approaching the construction interchange.
- DOT estimates that if 60% of drivers chose new routes for this project week, we would STILL see drive times over an hour.
- Expect ALL alternative routes to be congested (that includes side-streets through Bellevue, 405, 520, and possibly I-5).
- 520 bridge tolls will NOT be reduced. CLICK HERE to see toll rates and to see how to set up a short-term Good To Go! account.
- Cyclists will not be impacted.
- For more details, CLICK HERE.
Text I90 To 52309 And We'll Text You With Updates About I90. Find Out More About The Traffic Divas Les Schwab Text Alerts Right Here On Our Website, At Www.Yourtrafficalerts.Com.